Experiences of our first remote strategy meeting
Wolgang Wanning - Corporate Developer TRE
Originally, Team Retail Excellence had planned a 2-day strategy meeting with Rose-Bikes Digital, which could not take place because of Corona.
“Couldn’t we do it digitally? I wouldn’t want to put it off for 8 weeks – we have to prepare NOW for the time after Corona”. That’s what Marcus Diekmann, CEO of Rose Bikes, asked.
We therefore methodically/technically modified the strategy meeting and carried it out via video call. It worked amazingly well! We have made the following experiences:
- More efficiency and discipline
- More punctuality: „I was held up in the hallway” or “More coffee anyone?” are omitted or significantly disturb
- Quicker start: less small talk
- At eye level: “every window” is the same size – whether CEO or keeper of the minutes
- Less cutting off the speech – people let each other finish
- No distraction or differentiation by optical stimuli like clothes, perfume, people moving around the room (standing up, signal like leaning back, crossing legs, tapping with fingers)
- More focus
- Remotely everyone can see what’s written equally well – better than on a flipchart!
- Small talk, joint coffee, meeting in the sun might not be too efficient, but are good for the team building
- Creative teamwork is less emotional
- Conversations sometimes seem more reserved
- The moderator can’t work with spatial shifting
- Dependent on technology – even workshop experts have to learn which tools can be applied best
- A whole day of remote means a whole day of rectangular view and sitting - quite unhealthy
What does that mean for next time?
- Learning the technology and practise
- Modify and adapt workshop techniques
- Rather more, but shorter workshops than one long one (4 hours max)
- There needs to be a team of two moderators, so that it is possible to visually develop quickly and well structured
Is this the only way I want to do it from now on? No way – a lot of team dynamics is lost. But as an additional tool? Sensational!
A big “Thank You” to the Rose Bikes team that you started this pilot with us. As always: you are pioneers. We are looking forward to the next remote workshop already scheduled.
I am looking forward to some interesting exchange and your experiences!